With the recent outbreak in SA, we wanted to shed some light on Listeriosis in dogs and cats – yes, they are susceptible to the infection as well.
Firstly, Listeriosis is a food-borne bacterial illness caused primarily by the bacterium species Listeria monocytogenes, which can be found in soil, water and in certain livestock animals such as pigs, sheep etc.
Secondly, the outbreak in SA has been linked to contaminated food products such as polony and viennas. The risk of your furry loved ones contracting the Listeria infection is mainly by consuming such food products that have either been given directly to them or through other means such as waste disposal methods.
What can we do to prevent our Fur Children from being affected by this infection?
- Do not directly give any food products mentioned in relation to the current outbreak to your pets or anyone else’s. Even though cooking the food products at high temperatures could rid the food item of Listeria, why would we take that chance?
- Make sure any food products mentioned in relation to the outbreak are correctly disposed of by returning the items to the retailer for correct disposal.
What should you do if your beloved pet may have been exposed to the abovementioned products recently?
Watch out for the symptoms, which include, but are not limited to:
- Vomiting / Nausea
- Weakness / Stiffness / lack of coordination.
Symptoms may present more strongly in puppies and senior dogs. When in doubt, always consult your trusted veterinarian.
The key to keeping our pets safe is to ensure we always maintain good hygiene and food safety practices.